Musings on writing, lessons learned by an aspiring professional, book reviews, movie reviews, an occasional t.v. show review, and unashamed opinion.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Things you should watch

I haven't posted much lately.  Baby girl is taking up lots of time.  I've been getting a lot of Netflix in, though, and there are several things you should watch if you never have, and rewatch if it's been a long time.

Malcolm in the Middle.  I passed on this one when it came out years ago.  I might have been too young to catch all of the humor.  Then again, it aired in 2000, so I was 16.  Maybe I just didn't care.  Either way, I missed it.  This show is hilarious.  I can't stop laughing about it.  Watch it!

My Name is Earl.  Great show.  Made by the people who did Raising Hope.  It's about a guy who believes karma has been out to get him because he's been such a jerk to everyone.  He writes a list of all the bad things he's done in his life, and sets out to correct his past.  It's funny, it's white trashy, and it's got some heart to go with the punch lines.  If you've never seen this show, it is worth many hours of your time.

Secretariat.  Yes I'm saying watch a Disney movie.  Crazy, I know.  Usually I avoid them like dirty underwear.  But this story of the fastest race horse in history is decently made.  Diane Lane does a good job  with the limited material she is given.  The story is predictable, but enjoyable.  Plus John Malkovich plays the horse trainer.  Any movie with Malkovich in it is worth seeing.  (Okay, I can think of several to avoid, but shut up).

Ondine.  This is a little film starring Colin Farrel, who plays an Irish fisherman who finds a woman in his nets.  The woman (played by a beautiful unknown actress from Poland) just might by a selkie--a seal person.  Some things that just might be magic happen to Farrel's character, and he falls in love with the mystery woman from the sea.  It was an enjoyable film.  Not one I'd usually pick, but when you're scrolling through Netflix with a crying baby in your arms, you're just looking for something to make some noise.  It just so happened to turn out to be a good movie.

That's all for now.  I've got some links I need to post to some hilarious Christmas videos, but that will have to wait for later.

1 comment: