Musings on writing, lessons learned by an aspiring professional, book reviews, movie reviews, an occasional t.v. show review, and unashamed opinion.

Monday, April 16, 2012

I just don't get it

It's really strange how some books and movies get so popular.  Sure, I can understand when something is created with the greatest of quality, like the Harry Potter books, or Lord of the Rings, but there is so much garbage out there that succeeds.  Why is this?  Is it because modern America is full of idiots?  I'm not ruling it out, but it would be very rude of me to say yes, this is definitely why.  I'm baffled, though, by certain bits of entertainment.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  This is one I can't understand.  I tried listening to the book a few years back, when it was becoming such a hit.  I gave up after a very slow, uninteresting beginning.  A mystery book that starts out so blah shouldn't catch anyone's attention.  I watched the movie the other day, thinking they'd cut all the slow bits out.  Wrong!  It's a boring movie too.  And I knew who the bad guy was the first scene he appeared in.  What a pile of poop.



Oh yeah: it has an idiotic title as well.  I know they changed it from the Swedish version's The Man Who Hated Women, when it was translated into English.  What a crackpot decision.  Should have stuck with the original, since it actually gave a clue as to what the book is about.      

There's my rant for the day.  Don't waste your time on stupid films, or stupid books.  They're stupid.

1 comment: